• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks new center??? Esteban Batista

JTFan31

Quote:

Batista tiene ofertas de Atlanta y Golden State

Por ENRIQUE ROJAS

© 2005 The Associated Press

SANTO DOMINGO (AP) _ Aunque su equipo ya se eliminó de la contienda, el premundial de las Américas ha rendido frutos para el uruguayo Esteban Batista.

ADVERTISEMENT

El delantero fuerte, líder en rebotes del torneo y uno de sus mejores anotadores, dijo que recibió ofertas de los Hawks de Atlanta y Warriors de Golden State para jugar en la NBA en la próxima temporada.

"Mi agente está en conversaciones con Atlanta y Golden State", dijo Batista el jueves a The Associated Press. "Las mayores posibilidades son con Atlanta, ya que Golden State solamente me garantiza una invitación a los entrenamientos de pretemporada".

Batista dijo que el cazatalento dominicano Pedro Pérez lo puso en contacto con el agente estadounidense Aaron Goodwin, quien ahora se encarga de manejar su carrera.

"Goodwin dice que tengo muchas oportunidades de jugar en la próxima temporada de la NBA, aunque soy un jugador joven que todavía está aprendiendo a jugar", señaló el canastero de 21 años.

Batista es la revelación de la competencia, consiguiendo dobles cifras en rebotes y puntos en seis de lo siete partidos de Uruguay. El pívot tiene promedio de 18,6 puntos y 15,3 rebotes por encuentro.

"Definitivamente, haber jugado en el premundial ha sido muy importante en mi carrera", indicó.

Mientras Batista ha lucido impresionante, la selección uruguaya ha ido de más a menos y solamente ha conseguido un triunfo en el premundial, especialmente por su incapacidad para mantener ventajas en los últimos minutos de los partidos.

"Tenemos un equipo muy joven y sin mucha experiencia internacional, pero aún así hemos mostrado que podemos jugar con cualquiera", dijo el entrenador Alberto Espasandín.

"Batista ha sido uno de nuestros puntos luminosos y cuando tenga más experiencia llegará bien lejos en el básquetbol", señaló.

I will translate:

Basically Esteban Batista is a center from Uruguay, 22 years old, average 18 ppg and 15 rpg.....he has gotten offers from Atlanta and Golden State, but he is leaning more towards the Hawks because the warriors are only willing to invite him to training camp and Hawks are willing to actually sign him. I guess he has been heavily scouted. I will try to get more info about him and post it to this post, anyone like can also help out :P

Esteban Batista

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is 6'11, still dont know his weight. He was basketball player of the year for latin basketball. Supposely this guy dominated the latin basketball league. if he does sign with us, we need to see what he really can do.

2005 Stats from Tournament of the Americas

This is probably where he was scouted from. I guess he impressed.

Now you are all probably asking why I am making a big deal of this guy.

Well thos are pretty impressive stats, any one that can average 15 rpg is pretty impressive, and tells me that the guy knows how to rebound. I also have a good hunch about this guy, something tells me he can be a really good contributor behind Zaza.

Yea and thats why I didnt make a big deal about Edwards.

But with Batista I feel that he is a hardnose player and he led the Tournament of the Americas in rebounds and yes I know is not no NBA or even Euro players, but he was playing against that kind of competion of Euro players. I feel anyone that can average 15 rpg, says to me that the guy is tough, hardnose and can rebound. He also averaged 18 ppg, as the focal point of his offense, meaning he saw double teams night in and night out in that tournament, it also tells me he can score the basketball in numerous ways.

I think we found our own little gem.

Dochawk, he did not get drafted, therefore he is a free agent.

http://www.fibaamerica.com/torneos_roster_...uguay&c=URU

A good defender, rebounder, and scorer.

5th in scoring, 1st in rebounds, 10th in blosked shots, & 6th in steals in the tournament of the Americas (including some very good NBA players).

http://www.fibaamerica.com/torneos_lideres...sp?t=XGLQKBLQOI

http://www.fibaamerica.com/torneos1_us.asp?t=XGLQKBLQOI

and despite what someone else listed, 208 cms = 6' 10".

W

Walter so officially he is 6'10?

I knew I was kind of right when I listed 6'11

but if he is 6'10, heck that is still good.

I did a conversion online from cm to foot and it gave me 6'8

So thats why I ask if he is really 6'10?

My hopes will be higher on him if he is, longer arms and longer body.

By the way good stuff on the websites you found, good job.

You also seem a little excited about this guy.

You were all around it...unless my calculator is broken, he's 6' 10". 6'10" sounds alot better than 6'8" and given this guy's stats I would have been shocked if he led the tourney in reboudning at only 6'8".

W

...spent on a big man talent-wise; something I thought we might should try and trade up for if we had drafted at Pg early. Hopefully it pans out and if so kudos.

All this being a quick, mostlly uninformed assessment.

W

You are right Walter. He is 6'10, which makes it 100% better and sounds better than 6'8. Thanks Walter.

Again he has gotten offers from Hawks and Warriors, and Hawks being the only team to offer him a contract, Warriors only are inviting him to camp. He is leaning towards us, hope we get him soon, before he gets other offers.

In the picture with the ball in his hands, did anyone

notice the size of this guy's hands ??

Wow!

Looks like, from those paws, he could make like a

baseball player and throw the "Old Apple" down the

court on the fast break!

Rebounding? With those hands, he certainly has the

tools to grab a loose rebound.

I may be reading too much from one picture, but I am

impressed by those huge looking paws.

wink.gif

Hi guys, i am from Chile and know very well Esteban Batista , he is a great player, brave and with talent, great moves in the post, very good defender to a player 6´10, and a awesome timing for the rebounds, great rebounder and fast player to his heigth.

I am a very big Hawks fan and i think we got a steal with this guy. I think he is now better than Anderso Varejao and stronger than Nene.

Her is only 22 years old and played basketball in the last 5 years, before he wanted to be a soccer player and he was very good too.

I am very excited with this new because i think this is a tipical Spurs move, not a tipical hawks move, i think with this sign and Aykol i am very proud for the Hawsks socuts.

Common BK just sign this guy, far better than Jason Collier and Edward rigth now.

Thank you pvaras.

If pvaras knows Esteban like he says he does, then this is why I am so excited for getting this guy as a Hawk, and so is Walter.

Normally when I have a good hunch about someone, it turns out to be true. I definitely have a good hunch about him, and yes if everything you said is true, pvaras. Then I agree with Walter, this is like a mid 1st round acquisition.

"like a Spurs move" is exactly right. Thanks for the insight. JTfan31 are in agreement & I suspect the board throughout will be also should this signing occur. Only playing basketball 5 year's, eh? Statistically the guy does not have a weakness. It's impressive and with your insight even moreso.

(whisper) much better than signing John "ehem, no talent" Edwards.

I feel the same way about Edwards. basically all we were doing is filling the roster with a big body. With the hopeful acquisition of Batman, we not only get a big man, but I strongly feel that this guy will not only make the roster but also be a very good contributor for us next season.